Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Snow days

We had about an inch or two of snow the day before yesterday. So of course, they cancelled school, this being Washington State, the side of the mountains not used to anything more than slushy rain and being without snow removal or ice melting capacities. Now, I expected this. Then I woke up this morning. Clear skies. No school. It is cold out, you see, so the stuff on the roads turned to ice. Yes everyone still went to work, but no schools, and apparently, the trash removal people got the day off, because our trash has yet to be picked up. I figure, okay, two days off, cool, tomorrow she will be in school. Then I went to the grocery store.

There was no milk. No whole milk. No 2 percent milk. No fat free milk. No lactose intolerant people milk. Why, not even a soy milk.

So I went home and checked the weather report.

Now, my good friend over at More Gravy will totally understand why, upon noticing the one thing, I checked the other. And sure enough, tonight's forecast calls for snow showers.

Not a lot of snow showers mind you. Not the New-England-Blizzard-store-up-the-soup-and-get-the-sleds-out snow showers, or the Colorado-is-buried-again-roads-are-closed-til-spring snow showers, no, Just a night of snowfall. And yet, all the milk is gone. Which of course, means that Drama will have no school tomorrow.

This brings me to my gripe. My entire justification for being okay about moving to Colorado is the snow. The lack of seasons here (and the lack of nice people, I know they are here somewhere, you can't have an entire state of not nice neighbors and people, but for the life of me I haven't found them). And now it snowed.

See people, this is what I mean about Washington, it messes with you.

So all i have to do really, in situations like this, is reiterate what M. one of my friends back in Virginia said to me, quite a few times: Well, if it's so great out there, why does it have one of the highest suicide rates in America?

Which, apparently, statistically, isn't true, but they are a moodier lot, so I can see why people would think that.

No comments: