Friday, July 13, 2007

A recipe

Okay,

I don't really want this to be a lose weight/recipe blog, BUUUT it's something that I'm doing that's really working well, soooo MUAHAHAH...

This is a recipe I made, including the paste which is awesome if you like spicy. But I tweaked it, because i didn't have all the ingredients. It's sooo yummy. There's the original recipe, from the vegan website, and then there's mine below...


Cous-Cous (From Morocco)


Got this recipe from a Moroccan friend.

  • 1 Onion
  • Oil
  • 1 fennel
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 Carrot
  • 5 large potatoes
  • 200g Instant Cous-Cous
  • 200 ml hot vegetable stock
  • 5 tomatoes (peeled)
  • 1 tbs ginger
  • 1 tbs turmeric
  • 1 tbs coriander
  • 1 tbs cumin
  • 1 tbs cinnamonm salt and pepper
  • a twist of lemon
  • 1/2 tbs Harissa

Wash and chop up the vegetables.

Put some oil into a large frying pan and heat. Add the onion and fennel and fry for 1 minute. Reduce heat and add the other vegetables. Simmer for 5 Minutes.

Meanwhile put the cous-cous into the vegetable stock and leave for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.

Add all the spices to the vegetables and finally stir in the cous-cous.


What I Did: (it's not very much like the original after all lol but still YUMMY)

I cut up some carrots, onions and small potatoes.

Put some oil in frying pan. Add vegetables and fry. (I used some broth to keep the potatoes from sticking, but whatever works) When almost done, added two tomatoes.

Microwaved a cup and a half of chicken broth til it was bubbling (about four minutes)

Poured cup and a half of couscous in chicken broth, covered, let sit for five minutes. (I LOVE couscous)

Added cooked vegetables to couscous.

Added 1 tbsp ginger, ground tumeric, ground coriander, and ground cinammon. Added a dash of salt and a tsp or two of pepper. Added the paste. Spritzed lemon over it all.

Put in whole red pepper that had it's seeds removed. (I.e. I stuffed the pepper with it). There was extra couscous so I just put it around the red pepper, since no one else would eat it, I didn't bothers stuffing more peppers.

Baked at 375 til red pepper was done.


Yum.
Harissa is basically a paste made from taking about ten dried chili peppers, soaking them in hot water for 30 minutes, then taking the stems off and seeds out, and adding it to a food processor with three garlic cloves, minced, two tbs of olive oil, a tsp each of ground coriander, ground cumin and ground caraway, and puree' it until it's a paste.

It's clear to me that I need a food processor, as trying to make this paste in a blender only really made the blender very dirty, and me very annoyed.

4 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Very clever. You must be a good cook!

Anonymous said...

You need to get the Magic Bullet. This thing is great! You can use it to make one glass of your coffee drink, you can make a smoothie in it, you could make that paste in it. It is for doing smaller amounts of things. We have our and use it mainly for milkshakes and smoothies, though DH uses it for beandip. Don't get it online, stores like Penny's usually have it cheaper. (ps - This is Ell, but I can't figure out how to log-in today, lol)

MommasWorld said...

I just purchased a blender in the last two months. I cannot remember what I did before hand but I managed 19 years without one. I am going to try this recipe this weekend. ManSon and his friends are all about the spicy!

Good for you on making it your own!

Lahdeedah said...

I need the magic bullet now! I must have it! Most of the new healthier meals requires that delicate 'puree' setting!

Tell me how the recipe works out for you!