Sunday, February 05, 2006

SuperNumb

I think this was the most underwhelming superbowl for me. Yeah it was Seattle's first appearance, and personally, I think there were some dumb calls that went against them, and some that shouldn't have gone to Pittsburgh, but all in all, I think they both played decently. I just didn't care who won. I tried to. I like both teams, but I tried to rouse optimism for Seattle, since I live here. I'm a Pats fan by the fact I grew up there, and I went through a phase where I loved the Steelers, but I'm not as big a Steelers fan as I was when I was 10, and I've been rooting for the Seahawks most of this season. I watched the game, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe the calls ruined the momentum for me. Maybe the toddlers rampaging in front of the television did it. Maybe my husband's rantings at the referees did it. Whatever it was, I just gave up watching the game for minutes at a time. I missed the entire first quarter. I left the televison during the fourth. It just wasn't rousing. Somewhere between the second and third quarter, I just didnt' care who won. So what happened between the second and third quarter? Oh yes, Mick Jagger, a Brit, singing a lackluster 'Start You Up.' Or maybe it was the completely boring superbowl ads. Maybe it was the lack of a singular scandalous moment. I don't know what it was. But it made me not care.

So the Steelers won, and I KNOW there is an entire population of Steelers fans out there rejoicing to their hearts content, while those disheartened Seahawks fans savor the fact they were at least there... But either way, it's finally over.

No comments: