Sunday, June 03, 2007

Colonial House

I promise, if I ever do a PBS-special and go back in time to 'relive' a historical moment, I will not be one of those goons who whine and wail and moan and cry on the video diaries. "I don't mind living the life of a 1628 Puritanical colonist, but I don't feel comfortable with the religious aspect..."

Ummm. 1628 Puritans were all about the religion, duuuuh.

I mean, this is the period where the Scarlett Letter was written, boring generations upon generations of high schoolers forced to read the book... even the cliff notes version is considered a cure for insomnia... with its heavy religious colonial perspective. It's also the whole 'lets burn some people for witchcraft' era.

I pretty much have been addicted to this PBS series of throwing us modern, creatures of comfort folk into harder, more difficult time periods.

Some of them absolutely whine, though. Now, while I can understand the whining, I would hate to actually look back and say, wow, I totally sounded like a whiner...

Now, if you need someone to go back, and live the life of a pampered wife of a Roman senator or emperor or wealthy landowner, or maybe the life of a wealthy Grecian woman, I'm all there....

Remarkably, this is the first series where they don't whine about not being able to take a bath or shower every day.

3 comments:

MommasWorld said...

I watched that show!! I was really getting into it. I think it's the same show. The one I am thinking of the families had to build their own houses and live off the land. I had to laugh at the one family. They cheated every chance they got! They were busted after sneaking out to a landfil near by and dragging an old metal spring set for under their hand made matress.

You and I seem to like similar shows. Have you seen The Starter Wife? I watched the first episode Saturday afternoon. I think I will start watching this series. That is if I can remeber to turn on the tv at the right time on the right day. I finally get the day and time right for Heros and now it is all reruns UGH! he.he.he.

Lahdeedah said...

You're thinking of Frontier House, which I've watched, and yes, I laughed so hard at that family, because they totally couldn't live without a metal spring set... the guy also went a little looney about protein and beans ha ha ha...

Colonial House is the same PBS type show, but I liked it better, because it's an entire colony, so there's 17 people and they have to live in a 1628 Puritan colony. Luckily, the homes were already set up, but they all had to share. It was hilarious watching them walk around with red scarlet letters for 'profanity' and 'dissenting' and such...

...then later on the show, more people come, so it's really neat.

This one and Manor House were the best of the series so far.

I haven't seen The Starter Wife, but I saw a preview, it's so hard for me to watch new episodes because dang it, it's an investment, and if it's not good, I get all grumpy. I am going to rent Heroes on Netflix because I'm SOOOO behind on it! Same with Lost.

MommasWorld said...

I saw parts of Manor House. Real Upstairs Downstairs series.

There is a community here locally which they preserved as a museum. The whole thing! like Jamestown & Williamsburg. I Love Williamsburg.