Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Get Your Girl On.... Huh?

Does anyone understand this ad...

It's an ad totally targeting me. I'm flattered, truly. There is a line on the playground for the slide. Two kids, if that's a line. A modestly dressed, cute long-haired brunette is telling her son, 'okay now we can go' being all encouraging, when a woman dressed a notch up with shorter hair walks up, and her son runs in front of the kid and clamors up the slide steps. Mom does nothing. Long-haired brunette, in horror at the injustice of it all, says "It was Jake's turn next" and she said "Well, now it's his turn" or something to the effect of not anymore, it's my son's turn. So she then sees an ad for a Hummer. Runs to the front of the slide, grabs her son, goes to the dealership, signs the papers real fast, buckles kiddo in, herself in, and then drives off smiling, the line says "Get your Girl On." so um. What?

She meets one rude woman in the playground and buys a hummer? To do what? Go back to the park and run her over? Get in touch with her 'mean' side? Methinks someone's got a complex. Is Hummer now targeting stay-at-home moms with inferiority complexes (hmm, maybe they aren't targeting me)? Or are they telling the nice, just, and good stay-at-home moms to cater to their inner girl by buying a hummer, and running over mean bitch woman's hybrid? I just don't get it.

5 comments:

RainyPM said...

I don't get it either. I was expecting the women to jump into a chick fight, tear each other's clothes off in a fountain, and sell beer to guys.

I just don't see how buying a hummer would make you feel better if a rude kid cut in front of your kid for the slide.

Also, what that has to do with "getting your girl on" is beyond me. When kids are rude to DD at the playground, DH gets a lot more upset and big-talker-retaliatory than I do.

The commercial sounds like it was made by a bunch of clueless guys trying to figure out what would make a woman mad.

How about a commercial about an HOA writing up a woman, who goes out and gets a Hummer and then drives it through all the flower beds in the neighborhood, so that everyone's lawn looks worse than hers? Now THAT's about getting your girl on. ;)

Lahdeedah said...

Thanks,

I now want a hummer. Pristine lawns in my neighborhood beware, little lawn ornaments and shrubberies too...
MUAHAHAHA>...

Maybe I'll take it over to the library too... glare at me and my yelly hollering son will ya old lady?

Maybe it's a two-parter... maybe in another set of commmericals, she'll jump out and beat the snot out of the other mom.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It beats me; if an ad can't tell people what they are saying, then it's not very good.

Anonymous said...

As an H3 owner I must admit the meaning behind this commercial was lost on me. I bought it because I liked the styling and like to go off-road driving with my kids. Now, thanks to the geniuses at GM (makers of Hummer) I'm kind of embarrassed.

Lahdeedah said...

Yes, I never considered what the ads did to people who already owned hummers. They should have just stuck with 'like nothing else on earth' and the cool driving up mountains ads and not gone with the 'mine's bigger than yours' campaign.