Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Wilderness garden

I found TREES trying to grow in my lawn in the back yard! YIKES.

I will not be daunted. I WILL conquer that small square of suburban not-even-an-acre-age. I planted the plants I ordered in the spring, when I felt naively that I could maintain the back wilderness. I waited so long to plant them, however, I fear they may be dead. There were many brown leaves and not a lot of green, and we're in the dry season. The whole month and a half of dry season. But I felt obligated. It's also really too late to plant.

My tomato plant is cleverly hidden from pests by a mound of what appears to be Thai Basil. The strawberries are also lost in basil, and my sunflowers choked. I don't actually mind the sunflowers being choked. From what I understand, sunflowers would just make the whole back worse. It is mid-July. This weekend I'm going to do more weed whacking. Love the weed whacker.

I could just wait til everything dies in the fall, but that just seems, well, laazy. Practical, but practical in a lazzzy way.

Inside, I pulled up some hallway carpet for McRed to lay down the rest of the laminate 'kids can't trash this' flooring.

We are sooo Split-Level Americana. Vinyl flooring in the kitchen, laminate mock-wood in the living room, idiot gardening in the back, chalk drawings in the driveway and sidewalk and the harried crazy lady chasing shoe-less toddlers down the road... but I digress...

AND

to top that off, I got my Barnes and Noble book order in and found, to my chagrin, they shipped me More Than a Carpenter instead of 'Math, Grade 3," I mean, how are they even close? One, a discussion about Jesus and his life, another, mulitiplication and fractions.... WTH? The book cost less than the shipping to return it would.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our families would have so much fun living next to each other. You and I too similar...it's scary.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You never know; the other book might come in useful.

You have been added on to my Guest Quarters (bloglist)

Asher said...

Quite worthwhile piece of writing, thanks for the article.
his site | site | ,