Friday, February 02, 2007

Escapist Reading


Okay,

So we all know I'm stressed.

Hubby McRed is over the fact they didn't accept our counteroffer and after some grumbly words to me and some passionate words unrelated to romance back at him, he realized I'm right. Duh.

I mean, I even got stopped by the Neighborhood Patrol on the walk back from Drama's school and was asked, 'Why is your house the lowest one in the neighborhood?' To which I made up several nice replies, and held my personal opinion 'Because my realtor is the only one who seems to have done a proper market analysis of homes in our area, and we priced accordingly, while your realtors are shoving smoke up your arses insisting that your home really isn't overpriced....

Moving on....

So at my sister's advice, I am engaging in some 'escapist' reading, seeing as there is nothing I can do about anything in my situation. I mean, it's not like I can drag some folk over here, and make em buy my house with a reasonable offer. I can only sit and wait. She recommended I read about Marie Antoinnette... Um, No. She's never really fascinated me. Now my sister is reading "The Mayflower." But I'm past her. I"ve already done the fascination with Pilgrim thing and moved on to a fascination with Prairie life and settling on the frontier, which has since waned. Nothing has yet taken it's place, so here is my February Escapist Reading:

The Last Kingdom -- Historic fiction, about how King Alfred the Great united England against the Danes (Vikings),by Bernard Cornwall.

How the Irish Saved Civilization -- apparently the Irish saved civilization, by Thomas Cahill.

Knight of Darkness -- Total guilty read, something a guy who's a lord of avalon and Merlin's assassin, I'm sure there's a love story and sex in it somewhere, by Kinley MacGregor.

Outlander -- Some nurse gets sent back in time, falls in love with Scottish barbarian Highlander who spanks her, definitiely love story and sex, but lots of historical detail, by Diana Gabaldan.

Mother Teresa, No Greater Love -- This may just be guilt-inducing, but who didn't like her?

3 comments:

The Curmudgeon said...

Cahill's book is about how the Irish saved all of Western civilization. But that's the only one on your list that I've read.

Lahdeedah said...

Please tell me it's good.

I tried reading Guns, Germs and Steel several times, I love the subject matter, but just couldn't finish it.

David said...

Cornwell's historical novels are always entertaining and even educational, but he's best at the 18th Century. The ones he sets in that period (such as the Sharpe novels, or Redcoat, the one set during the American Revolution) come to life more. For me, anyway.