Thursday, April 27, 2006

Name this plant, flora, fauna, live growing thingie...

But first...

Before we get on to the naming, I'm just going to admit, I have a gardening problem... a REAL problem...

I went to the store today to get McRed some stuff and some ellidel for Bear's excema *he's got alligator skin that no longer responds to vaseline and eucerin* and rice noodle for my yummy vietnamese chicken noodle soup, also spelled Pho but called Fuh. Okay, not sure on the spelling but still, not the point...

I ended up getting 16 gladiola bulbs, bean seeds, morning glory seeds, sunflower seeds, and two packets of lily tubers... and you're thinking so what?

Well of course you are, because what you don't know *though Gravy and Poker do know, and they soooo understand...* is that I have just ordered through online nurseries two shade gardens consisting of a total of about 40 plants *but i'm sure I can plant about 35 of those easily... a butterfly and cutting garden, a blue perennial garden, a red perennial garden, a dwarf blueberry container plant, a terra-cotta strawberry plant jar and 25 strawberry plants *because the 14 I already have aren't enough* and I may have actually ordered the Goatsbeard, but I'm not sure, I can't remember.

On top of that, it is taking all of my will to not order a dwarf lime tree, and it's not so much a question of conquering the desire as of when I will finally cave Now, add to that the sunflower seeds I already have, and the fact that now I'm doing a sunflower house and a bean tee-pee, I am pretty much um, I am out of room. I have some containers that will be used for the excess plants, and to be honest, I may be sending some plants home with Looney and Uncle in June, because I may not have room... it makes me sad.... sometimes, I look at the small patch of lawn in back, that one square bit of green toddler-turf, and think... naaahhh...

But I swear, I am sooo done buying plants for this season. I won't even look okay well I won't even buy bulbs until at LEAST July....

Okay, now on to the plants, but just so you know, I didn't bother taking pictures of the spice garden on my deck, because it's just like, boxes of mint, rosemary, thyme, cilantro mmm, oregano and sage.

Now, this first plant, I know and like :) It's the delphinium giant or tall or whatever. I'm not sure of the spelling, but isn't it just cool looking?





Here are a select few of the plants I can't refer to by their common family, never mind their common name and forget the botanical family, species or exact reference. Please help me name them! And by name them, I mean by their actual name, this isn't a naming game where we make up names for plants just cuz...




Now this first one, I've seen downtown and at first I didn't like it, but it's growing on me. If only I knew what they were.... and for that pretty pink blooming bush, Japanese Azaela. Thank you Cratchet for that. It does well in this climate, and maintains a nice shade of green most of the year.






Okay now, on the right, in front of the weeds, which I will pull now that I can see they are glaringly noticeable... that's the blurp of heather I planted... next to it... anyone, anyone? Oooh but check out the black night tulips behind them...








These two green things on the left I refer to as hostas only because they are green, perennial, and I have no idea what they are. And that funky plant in between? It's got a very shallow root, and is easy to pull up, but what is it? I think it's ground cover of some sort. I don't think it's a weed, because weeds are sooo resistant, but I don't think its pretty. I know a lot of gardeners use plant as ground cover, but I need one that I like. Now, baby's breath is nice, but I think that's an annual. Really, I can just look it up, but I think it is an annual.









Here we have my 'problem' plants. Not the blue flowering ones, they are pretty. No, it's the ferny ones that end up growing really tall and being thistley. I remember them from last year, oh oh right now, they are all nice and green and comfy looking, but just wait til summer... they scare me. I am scarred from the memory of all the thistle-things I got stuck on my clothes, gardening gloves, limbs etc etc etc.







Now this is the image I tried for... what is this plant? It's nice, and I want another one, but I have no idea what it's called.
Okay, I like it. Now what is it?








This is my sad lavender here on the right. Lavender thrives in this area, but I have neglected this lavender, in part because it gives me a headache, in part because it was such a pain for me last year to manage. Now, I'm annoyed at myself, because lavender is pretty, and now I have to trim it, water it, give it some fertilizer maybe, and hope it thrives... Looney wants lavender, and I pulled out some from the roots and potted it, so hopefully in June, when she visits, I'll have some for her and Uncle.

Is this an aster? But not a dwarf one? I mean what is it? It grows like crazy in my backyard, and I have a whole corner full of them. They multiply and are perennials. Any idea what they are called? I like them, but I need to get rid of a couple. I'm going to try one as a container plant and see how it does, because they are striking. However, there is something about them, the way they look right before they blossom, it's like, they are an aggressive plant that wishes it could eat you... they are kind of creepy scary looking in a pretty way. Angry purple people eaters!!! THEY DO EXIST.... and they are in my backyard....

UNRELATED TOPIC

Just warning you about the topic change... no need to be alarmed


This is an image of Drama's room a mere three weeks after I labored all day with her cleaning it, bought her pretty purple bins and a new basket and all sorts of organizational cutie tween things *which you can't see under the disaster* and this is what happens... it's not like I haven't been telling her to clean her room, I have, and I would go in, and it would look passable, it turns out, passable was 'under the bed' and she moved the bed and now... I've already thrown out two and a half bags of extranneous 'stuff' I guess you'd call it... so now, I'm thinking maybe it's the clothes? ARGH... suggestions? Aside from the old torch and start over tactic? I'm saving that for a last resort.

No comments: